The proximity sensor in the iPhone is a useful piece of hardware, switching off your display whenever you lift your iPhone to your face when making a phone call. There have been quite a few Cydia tweaks that are based on the proximity sensor, giving it some useful new features and functionality and now we have a new one for iOS 8 and iOS 9 called WavetoWake. The tweak will turn your iPhone display on or off automatically and is a simple one to set up and use.
Image : WavetoWake – Unlock iPhone by Waving over Phone
WavetoWake includes a number of useful features, including :
- All you need to do is wave your hand over the proximity sensor to activate or deactivate your iPhone display
- If your iPhone screen is locked, wave your hand to unlock it and wave it again to lock it
- A wave over the sensor or a tap on it will let WavetoWake detect it and take the appropriate action
- Great for people who need to keep checking for notifications on their lock screens – saves wear and tear on your home button
- If your iPhone is in your pocket, WavetoWake will automatically turn your display on when you remove it and, if you forget, it will lock it when you put the iPhone back in your pocket
Configuring WavetoWake is simple and there are a number of options that you can set. When you have installed the package, simply open your Settings app and then the preferences pane for WavetoWake, where you can make the following changes:
- Enable or disable the tweak with a Flipswitch
- Opt to use your proximity sensor to either lock your display or unlock it
- Have the tweak automatically disable itself when your battery level is low, when there are no notifications on your lock screen or when Do Not Disturb mode is enabled
- Determine how many waves will be needed to unlock your display or lock it
While there have been a few tweaks of this nature in the past, none of them have had the level of configuration that WavetoWake offers, including a few options unique to this tweak. It will have an effect on your battery life which is why the disable option has been included in the configuration options.
If you have jailbroken your iOS device using PPHelper then you can head over to Cydia and download WavetoWake for just $0.99 from the BigBoss repository. If you haven’t used PPHelper to jailbreak and you want this tweak, you can follow our detailed guide on installing PPHelper. Free download of the Cydia tweak is also possible via 3rd party repo sources.
Do let us know how you get on with WavetoWake and what you think of it. If you want to be kept up to date with all the latest jailbreak news and tweaks, follow us on Facebook and Subscribe to our free email newsletter.