A lot of people wonder why most smartphones come preloaded with weather apps and widgets, and whether they are accurate enough. However, as unlikely as it may sound, a large number of users do use weather apps regularly to keep an eye on the weather condition in their area. No, it isn’t anything scientific, as weather apps are useful in day to day lives. For instance, if you want to go for a picnic with your family or fishing with your best friends, you would want to avoid rains and harsh winds. Weather apps are made for such things.
Image : Meteor Live Weather Tweak from Cydia
However, not all users love the current weather apps available for iOS, and we expect some more exciting features. But if you are using a jailbroken iOS 9 device, you don’t need to worry anymore. A new jailbreak tweak called Meteor has been released on Cydia recently and adds live weather info to the Status bar and the Weather app icon. User were eagerly anticipating this tweak, so let’s see what it really offers.
- The Meteor tweak places a new weather icon on the Status bar. This icon displays the current temperature of the location you currently are at. You don’t need to manually refresh the info; the temperature refreshes at fixed intervals automatically. Apart from this, weather and temperature information is also added to the Weather app icon.
- The tweak gives a nice animation for the transition between temperature and condition changes, thus making it look more modern.
- The Weather app icon now gets the current weather condition instead of the text | label.
- You can either chose to display the Status bar temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
- A weather condition glyph is also added to the Status bar icon.
- The Status bar icon can be moved to the right or left, and you can also change the refresh delay for the temperature.
- If you want to use local weather, you have to enable location services first for the Weather app. The custom icon and/or the Status bar icon can be enabled or disabled.
Note : As for the effect on battery life after installing and running the Meteor tweak, the tweak developer says that a refresh rate set at 30 minutes drains 4 – 5% of battery in 8 hours. The battery will drain faster if you set the refresh rate higher.