Security is the single most important thing to all mobile device users. The latest iPhones and iPads all have biometric access in the form of the Touch ID fingerprint scanner but Apple has held off from giving Mac users the same technology. All is not lost though, as there is now an app available to help you unlock your Mac using your iPhone or iPad Touch ID sensor. It’s called FingerKey, it costs just $1.99 and is available on the iOS app store.
Image : How to Unlock your Mac using Touch ID
FingerKey works by pairing the app on your iOS device with a companion app on your Mac. Once paired, simply use the Touch ID button on your iPhone to unlock your Mac. At the time of writing, FingerKey is causing some problems on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but the developers are working on a fix for that and an update will be issued soon. When the app is downloaded, it comes with its own widget that lets you unlock from the notification center from anywhere in iOS.
You Will Need:
- An iPhone or iPad with Touch ID
- A Mac that supports Bluetooth LTE
How to Download and Use FingerKey :
- Download FingerKey from iTunes onto your iPhone or iPad [ link ]
- Download the companion app, FingerLock, free from the developers website [link]
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled
- Open the apps on both your Mac and iPhone
- On your iPhone, tap the + in the top right corner
- On your Mac, type in your Mac authentication password
- Click on Pair
- Open the app on your iPhone and swipe left on the name of your Mac
- Tap on Login and your Mac will wake
Is this something you think would be useful to you ?