PPHelper jailbreak was welcomed by jailbreakers the world over but, when it was first released, it was not in English, did not work on 32-bit devices nor was it supported on the Mac. Subsequent updates have brought the utility up to date with support for the Mac and the English language but it still will not work on 32-bit devices and it is still a semi-untethered tool. However, users are still experiencing some issues with PPHelper and one of the most problematic ones is an error within Cydia that is stopping some package from being installed on an iOS device.
Image : Failed in Buffer Write
Some users have been faced with an error saying “failed in buffer_write(fd) (8, ret= -1)” when trying to install packages in Cydia. The reason this error is appearing is because the system partition appears to be the destination for the packages to be installed on but there is insufficient room on the partition. Because of this, Cydia stops the installation and displays that error message.
Fix “Failed in buffer_write(fd) (8, ret=-1) Error :
Fixing this error is fairly simple, just follow the steps below .
Method 1 :
- Open Cydia
- Tap on Sources > Edit > Add
- Now type this URL into the box – http://coolstar.org/publicrepo
- Let Cydia load up everything from the new repository and then tap on the Search bar in Cydia
- Type in stashing for iOS 9.2 – 9.3.3
- Tap on the package to open it and then tap on Install
- Confirm that you want to install the package on your iOS device
What this package does is makes sure that all packages are installed in the right partition, i.e. the data partition on your device and not the system partition. This saves a lot of space on your device and it lets Cydia complete the package installation without any problems with memory. If, however, this doesn’t work for you, you can try another method.
Method 2 :
- Tap on the Cydia icon to open it
- Search for and install Apple File Conduit 2
- Now download iFunbox onto your PC or Mac [ links here ]
- Connect your iOS device to your computer and launch iFunbox
- When it opens, go to the sidebar on the left and open Raw File System
- On the right-hand side, you will see a list of the files and folders on your device. Look for “/.cydia_no_stash” and rename it to “/.cydia_no_stash-“
- Now disconnect your iOS device from your computer and open Cydia
- Cydia should begin to prepare the file system and when it has finished, you will be able to download and install your tweaks and packages without any issues
Have you run into this error with PPHelper jailbreak ? Did either of these methods help you? Follow us on Facebook and Subscribe to our free email newsletter for instant access to more tips and tutorials like this one.