iOS 10 is here, finally available to the public after a few months of beta testing by developers. Like any previous firmware release, this one is no different in that the usual host of download problem are beginning to appear. Millions of people are trying to download iOS 10 [ext link] firmware at the same time and you can almost see the smoke rising from Apple’s servers as they struggle to cope with onslaught. The latest problem comes just after users have checked the box that says they agree to the Terms and Conditions of the update after which they get an error message that says “An error occurred downloading iOS 10”.
Image : Software Update Failed iOS 10
This is not affecting any particular type of iOS device as the reports coming in are from a wide range of iPads, iPod Touches and iPhones. At this stage, we are still waiting for an explanation for why the error is occurring from Apple but it is looking likely that it is nothing more than a server issue. For the rare case, it may be that something else is causing the problem but these are going to be very few and far between.
Image : Software Update Failed iOS 10 Error
Fix “An error occurred downloading iOS 10” :
There are a few things you can do to try to get past this problem but we cannot guarantee that any of these will work for you. Run through them in order:
- Reboot your iOS device
- Restart your Wi-Fi and check that the connection is strong
- Reset Network Settings. Open Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
- Forget the OTA update and try updating via iTunes instead, it tends to be a more successful method
With any luck, something from this list will work for you but if nothing does, there are two more things :
- Wait until an iOS 10 update [ext link] is released from Apple to fix the problem – this will only happen if it is a bug causing the problem or if Apple decides to increase the capacity of their servers
- Wait a day or two. You are not going to be missing out on anything by letting the rush die down and waiting. In fact, if there are any problems at all with the download, you will now about them before you attempt to update and you can make an informed decision on whether to go ahead or not.
Did any of these solutions work for you or have you decided to sit back and wait, let the rest of the world update first ?