A good proportion of those who have upgraded to iOS 7 are eagerly awaiting news of an untethered jailbreak utility. We know that evad3rs are currently working on it and are making great progress, if all the recent tweets are anything to go by. However, while they are working hard, we still do not have a release date and are not likely to get one in the very near future, although there is some indication that it may be before the end of this year. One of the biggest issues they are facing is making Cydia and MobileSubstrate fully compatible with iOS 7.
Image : OpenSn0w Jailbreak on iOS 7
However, if you have an iPhone 4 we have found of a way to jailbreak it using a utility called Opensn0w. Full instructions can be found on appaddict.org but we are going to give you a basic guide on how to jailbreak iOS 7.0.2 on an iPhone 4.
First, you will need your iPhone 4 running iOS 7.0.2 and Mac OS X 10.8. Please note that this is a tethered jailbreak only .
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 7.0.2 Tethered :
- First you must install Automake and Autoconf. You can do this by opening terminal on your Mac and copying and pasting the commands found here
- Now you need to go to Github [ext link]and clone Opensn0w – make sure you remember where you clone it to;
- Open it and install Opensn0w, then build it – there are specific instructions for that here;
- Now you can root and install openssh and then go ahead and jailbreak your iPhone 4.
- Once this is done you can go ahead and install MobileTerminal deb package.
- Now you need to tether reboot your iPhone 4 and you can then install any other deb packages you want.
You will need to follow the more detailed instructions on appaddict.org but if you follow them correctly you will have a jailbroken Phone 4, albeit tethered, which should suffice until the untethered utility is finally available.