FaceTime is one of the stick apps available on iOS and has become one of the most widely used features. Until iOS 7, you could only make video calls with FaceTime but that has now changed. Thanks to a redesign and upgrade of all the stock iOS 7 apps, FaceTime can now be used to make audio only calls to another contact provided they too use FaceTime. Not only does this cut down on bandwidth use, it also makes FaceTime a strong contender in the world of VoIP services, going up against the likes of Viber and Skype.
Image : Free Voice Calls
Setting Up Facetime Audio Only :
If you want to use FaceTime for audio-only calling here’s how to do it .
- Launch the FaceTime app
- Find the contact you want to make an audio call to by tapping on Contacts and tapping the name of the person
- Go to the FaceTime field in their contact information
- Two icons will be visible – Video and audio calling.
- Select the audio calling icon – a picture of a telephone handset and make your audio call through FaceTime without having to use your video.
You can switch your video on during the call by tapping on the FaceTime icon, which you will find on the call UI. You can also operate the microphone, speakers and look through your list of contacts while you are making the call. And, if you are using iMessage and decide you want to make a call to the contact you are chatting with look for the FaceTime Audio Call icon at the top of the conversation thread. Just click on it to make the call.
Set Facetime Favorite for Frequent Facetime Callers :
iOS 7 also lets you add your contacts to a list of FaceTime Favorites, making it even easier to make that audio call. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the FaceTime app
- At the bottom you will see a Favorites button – tap on it
- At the top of the screen is a + button – tap this to reveal your contacts list
- Tap on one contact and you then have a choice of adding them as an audio or regular favorite
- Once you have tapped to make your choice their name will appear in your FaceTime Favourites and all you need to do is tap on the name to make the call.
iOS 7 is proving to be one of the most popular firmwares Apple has ever released and with features like this it’s easy to see why. It’s now easier than ever to keep in touch with your friends and family without having to log in to external VoIP software to do so.