When Evad3rs released Evasi0n just before Christmas, everyone was a little baffled by the fact that it just appeared, with no fanfare or announcement. However, that didn’t stop users rushing to download it but it hasn’t been a trouble-free jailbreak. A number of users have complained of different issues but we have a few tips to help you try to fix some of them.
Image : Stuck in Apple Logo
Stuck on Apple Logo :
This seems to have been a common problem among those who downloaded the jailbreak. The most likely cause of this is because you upgraded your iOS firmware using the OTA method – a big no-no if you are intending to jailbreak.
In fairness to the users who did this, nobody was aware that the jailbreak was going to be released quite so quickly, indeed it wasn’t really expected until around February time. However, to get out of the problem:
- Do a Hard Reset – hold your HOME and POWER buttons down for 10 seconds and then run the jailbreak again.
- If that doesn’t work, connect your device to your PC, place your device into DFU – Hold down the POWER and HOME buttons for 10 seconds, release POWER, continue holding HOME until a Device in Recovery message appears in iTunes. Restore your device from a backup – hopefully you made one before you applied the jailbreak.
- If that doesn’t work, evad3rs have now released 2 updates to Evasi0n 7 – v1.0.1 which removes Taig from the jailbreak and v1.0.2 which is for the iPad 2 only. Try installing one of these and see if that fixes the problem. If not, you will have to restore and then wait for the next update from evad3rs.
Endless Reboot Loop :
The problem of an endless reboot is commonly caused by tweaks that don’t work properly. The issue has been caused by MobileSubstrate, something that a good many jailbreak tweaks rely on to work properly. MobileSubstrate was not compatible with the first version of evasi0n7 however, it has since been updated and is now known as Cydia Substrate.
If your device manages to boot up without going into a reboot loop, get into Cydia and remove any tweaks that rely on MobileSubstrate. If you can’t get in, you will need to go into DFU mode and restore.
You can then install the jailbreak again. Try downloading v1.0.1 or, if you have an iPad 2 download v1.0.2 which has been released to fix the endless reboot loop on that particular device. Reinstall your tweaks and you should have no further trouble.
Jailbreak gets stuck
Some people are finding that the jailbreak process itself is freezing up halfway through. It should take no more than 5 minutes to jailbreak your device using evasi0n7. If it takes longer than this, the advice from evad3rs is to shut down the jailbreak on your PC, re-open it, reboot your device and start again.
Evasi0n can’t be opened on your Mac
This is more than likely an issue caused by GateKeeper on OS X 10.8 or higher. If you right-click on the desktop app for Evasi0n, select Open and then Open again in the box that appears, it should work just fine. If not, try right clicking again and selecting
Show Package Contents > Contents > MacOS > Evasi0n7.
Stuck on Activation Lock
Activation Lock is Apple’s latest Anti-theft feature. It uses the device owners Apple ID as permission to restore and may ask for it during the jailbreak. There is no way to get round this unless you know that password which, if the device was purchased by you, you should know. If you have a second hand phone you need to contact the previous owner and ask them to disable to lock remotely.
Stuck on Configuring System
Some people have reported this error during the jailbreak process. It has been suggested that the problem lies with “slow machines” although it isn’t clear what evad3rs mean by that as they didn’t provide any minimum requirements this time. However, they did suggest attempting the procedure using another computer.
- Always back up your device before you apply the jailbreak, just in case something goes wrong.
- If you have a passcode lock activated, disable it before you begin.
- While the jailbreak is being processed please do not do anything that requires iTunes.
- If you have upgraded your firmware using the OTA method, perform a clean restore using iTunes before you jailbreak.
- For Windows users who struggle to open the Evasi0n application, right-click and Run As Administrator as shown below .
- If you have one of the brand new A7 64-bit chip devices, you may run into trouble with some tweaks. As we speak, developers are updating jailbreak apps and tweaks to support iOS 7 and the newer devices so exercise a little caution when downloading and patience.
Have you come across any other issues ? Found a fix for them ? Let us know in the comments box below. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with the latest news.