Just before Christmas 2013, Evad3rs released Evasi0n Jailbreak for Cydia on iOS 7 devices , the only untethered jailbreak utility for iOS 7. Despite a bit of a rocky start, everything has now settled down and a high proportion of iOS users are now using the utility.
Image : Cydia Installation on iPhone 5S
On March 10th, Apple dropped iOS 7.1 , successfully patching the exploits that Evad3rs used and consequently shutting down the jailbreak for anyone who went beyond iOS 7.0.6.
As most people know, Cydia is the jailbreak app store that houses the apps, tweaks and mods that help jailbreakers to customize and modify their iPhones, iPads and iPods. To get Cydia on to your iOS device, there are two ways:
Method 1 :
Download Evasi0n onto your PC
- First of all, head to this page and download the very latest version of Evasi0n 7 jailbreak tool .
- Follow the instructions given to install the jailbreak utility to your PC or MAC
- Attach your iOS device to your PC or Mac
- Right click the icon for Evasi0n and Run as Administrator if you are a Windows user, just double click to open on Mac
- Follow these instructions to jailbreak your iOS 7 device and install Cydia
Method 2 :
Download Cydia Icon without Jailbreaking
You do not have to jailbreak to place the Cydia icon on to your home screen:
- From your iPhone or iPad, open Safari Browser
- Type this address into the search bar – cydiaios7.com
- The mobile version of the website will now be displayed. From any page, tap the UP arrow
- You will now get an option to save the page to your iPhone or iPad home screen. Tap to save
- You will need to name the icon – call it Cydia
- Hit Add as shown in the image below
- The Cydia icon will now be visible on your home page
This does not actually jailbreak your iOS device, it is merely the icon but you can use it to trick people into believing your iOS 7 device is jailbroken.
Video Explanation of Method 2 :
Cydia Compatibility :
If you do decide to jailbreak your iOS 7 device, the utility is fully compatible with the following devices on iOS 7:
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5S
- iPhone 5C
- iPad Air
- iPad Mini/Mini 2
- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPod Touch 5
Jailbreak iOS 7.1 and iOS 7.1.1
As you are probably aware by now, if you upgraded to either of these firmwares your jailbreak will be lost along with the ability to install a jailbreak for the time being. At the moment, there are no plans for an untethered iOS 7.1+ jailbreak utility.
The reason for this is that iOS 8 is due to be unveiled on June 2nd at WWDC 2014 and is expected to be released in September. Evad3rs have said that, at this stage, they prefer not to waste any exploits and will instead concentrate their efforts on a jailbreak for iOS 8.
If the situation changes, we will let you know. Subscribe Below for the Alerts and Updates